Sunday 2 May 2010

No kidding

At the moment I'm still waiting to head back into the jungle due to not being allowed access to the site thanks to some petty bickering between two local groups. One is a group of old villagers who used to have a say about this sort of thing (but no longer do) and the other is a newer body set up by the regional government (and who are therefore technically in charge). In theory there would be no problems as legally we have access however seeing as most of the old ruling body are still well respected tactically this would be a bad move. All in all it's resulted in me having a fair few days stuck in the office trying to avoid being asked to make geological maps and the like. It was during one of these moments of doing my utmost to avoid work that trouble struck. Well I say trouble, it would probably be better referred to as "a child". You see I'd decided to head out in order to replenish my private supply of edible food, sadly I chose the exact same time as a horde of schoolchildren. Seeing as the shop is a good 10 minute walk they had plenty of time to say hello, ask me my name, laugh at my height. I was hoping that once I'd been to the shop and retraced my steps they would stop following and, for the most part, they did. All except one that is. Having effectively played Grandmother's footsteps with me on the walk home he then decided to sit at the end of the drive from where he proceeded to just stare at the office. For 4 hours. Finally I saw him leave so went outside to get a bit of fresh air. It was only then I noticed that he had in fact walked round the back of the office and was standing about 20m away in the paddy field that occupies that space where he stood for another hour at least. Very strange behaviour. Clearly I'm going to have write to Stephen King to find out what happens next but I'm betting it's odds on that this is turning into a shining rehash with me stuck somewhere having accepted a job offer in an out the way location before being driven crazy by strange children. Still, probably better than a misery rehash to be honest.


Now where did I put that axe?...

No comments:

Post a Comment