Friday 4 June 2010

Luang Prabang and on


As you can tell by this post I survived the death boat. It was quite an entertaining ride actually and I think it was the first time I've been given a crash helmet upon boarding a boat. The passenger next to me was a Buddhist monk who spent the whole 7 hours pointing out things for me to photograph. This got a bit tiring as some of the items that he clearly thought I'd be interested in included; driftwood, a large boulder, another boat, some fishermen (there were hundreds of them...) and a cow. All fascinating I'm sure you'll agree. All in all arriving back in Luang Prabang was quite a relief as I did want to have a monkicide on my criminal record. Luang Prabang is a gorgeous city based on a peninsula at the conference of two rivers, the larger of which is the Mekong, and which has been classed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. That's mostly because almost every street has a Buddhist temple on it which gives the whole city a laid back and historic feel.

From there a 9 hour bus ride, during which I took the chance to see how far I could get my knees into my face, took my to Luang Namtha in the North East of the country. The bus ride was actually great entertainment right from the start as just 5 minutes out of the station the driver was pulled over by police and arrested. Cue everyone looking around wondering what to do whereupon one passenger decided to take matters into his own hands and got into the drivers seat. After struggling to find first we moved off with our new driver at the helm, quickly though we all realised this was a bad plan as he managed to find reverse much more easily than he had 1st and we screeeched to a halt before firing off backwards down the road. After a brief discussion (someone physically dragged him out of the seat) another passenger took over and drove off in a much more traditional manner. All the while I was laughing at the faces of the American and Canadian who I'd met in Prabang as they looked as though they were both trying to fuse their teeth together. Their expressions did not improve when we passed a bus which had rolled over and a lorry which had driven into some trees by the side of the road. You'll be glad to know that I was helpfully pointing these out just in case either of my fellow travellers missed seeing them. I'm so helpful like that.

I spent 3 days in Namtha doing some kayaking and visiting local villages. The kayaking was great but the villages were a strange experience as you end up just wandering around while people stare at you in thinly veiled disgust. Very odd. On my second night an English girl came to stay in the same guesthouse as me, when she revealed it was her birthday I made a mental note to pick up some chicken feet from the local market. I'm sure if she hadn't been vegetarian these would've been a roaring success. Possibly.

Leaving her to enjoy her grilled feet I got a 4 hour minibus to Houey Xai where I got the aforementioned speedboat down the Mekong back to Prabang to ingulge in a few days relaxing in cafes and visiting the nearby waterfall at Kuang Si before heading back to Vang Vieng to do a bit of kayaking back to Vientiane.

All in all it was a really enjoyable trip. Well apart from leaving my phone at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur. That was boring. I would say it was uncalled for but the pun would be too much I fear.

Photos:

Trek and Kayak around Vang Vieng

Lunag Prabang:
The Mekong
Kuang Si waterfall
The waterfall was gorgeous. It consisted of one large fall (seen in the pic above) and then 50-100m of little cascades through the jungle where you could bathe or swim.


The night market with a Wat behind it

Looking out from the hill in the centre of Prabang



The comforable minbus to Namtha
A man with a rat/mole thing which the driver bought when he got off. It was alive in case you're wondering
Lunag Namtha

Kayaking

Lunch

At the end of the second day 20 local children decided they want to play on the kayak. For two hours the guide and I took turns to repeatedly capsize it until eventually our car turned up to take us back to town. I forgot how much energy children can have, honestly I think they would've done it all day if they could.

The "speedboat"

Heading down the Mekong
Vang Vieng

Stopping for lunch. These rocks turned out to be perfect for running dives into the river. Far too much fun.
Vientiane

Sunset over the Mekong. They could make this area beautiful if the wanted. Seemingly they don't though for some reason.
Some fancy roundabout

One of the many buddhist temples to be found in the city

If you've made it this far have a biscuit as a reward. I'll try and upload a couple of videos later too but the connection here makes it hard work to do so successfully.

Robert Green you spanner.

Keg

4 comments:

  1. Photo's and Beard both excellent.
    Robert Green a total pillock.
    Seriously, would you have let that in?
    No.
    Germany looked amazing against Australia last night.
    More to follow...

    Looks like you're having a great time.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Germany did look very good, just about the only side that have so far although Australia are by no means a great team. Capello has annoyed me quite a lot recently. Cutting Adam Johnson and Scott Parker, putting on SWP ahead of Jpe Cole on the left, not starting Hart etc etc

    As for Green I have to say it didn't surprise me in the least as he's never looked comfortable at that level (and he made more mistakes leading to goals than anyone else in the Premiership last season...)

    Just noticed that the first Ipswich game is at home on the 27th of November. Birthdayish outing methinks.

    I trust all's well with you on the "work/relationship/counseling for being worse than me at all sports" fronts?

    Now excuse me while I get back to growing my beard,

    Bon tucking

    Keg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon jour.

    Sorry for horribly delayed responce. Had a bit of a mare over the last few weeks. The show was close to melting point and Di and I split up. Real pity, but just not to be. Friends above anything else was probably the downfall. However we're off to watch Stevie Wonder together on Saturday in Hyde Park, which'll be great. She's a top girl, but possibly more friend than 'wife.' I think when you get to 30 odd one has to suddenly be rather decisive.

    Anyway, the show is back on track with some amusing stuff, and I am about to go around the UK teaching "future skills" to sixth-formers who would doubtless rather be watching the world cup. The irony of future skills is, still, not lost on me.

    My flat is my one saving grace at this point. An absolute cracker. I'd upload some photo's if I knew how... The piece de resistance is the "Arthur J Cole and Sons - Butchers and Graziers" sign which we rescued from the refirb of the local butchers shop. It hangs above the kitchen.

    I've noticed I have a free week the first week of July...

    Where wil you be? Should I venture out for a crazy jaunt?

    Jean...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would've thought an attractive friend was pretty much ideal for a girlfriend however I shall bow to your far greater experience in this subject... Either way I'm sorry to hear it, what odds on you George and I ending up living together by the time we're 40?

    The first week of July? I believe I will be working in Sumatra. On the 10th I'm going to go to Banda Aceh to try my hand at some diving off a nearby island, does that fit at all?

    This is taking an age because I stayed up until 3.30am to watch the "end" of Mahut vs Isner. It ended up being tied at 59 games all in the 5th so they have to resume today. Oh and I woke up at 7. Ace.

    On the plus side I have a few days to recover before England vs Germany, oh and I look so tired that people might believe it if i say I'm ill (thereby getting to watch the game). Genius.

    Hope all improves for you soon, if you can't come out here then have a relaxing week on the beach somewhere. Oh and I'm sure I'll be crashing in your flat before too long...

    Bon tucking

    Keg

    ReplyDelete