Friday 16 July 2010

From Kuala Lumpur to Pulau Weh in pictures

A couple of insect pics as requested by Jean:



Some monkey's kicking back on top of the World's largest walk in aviary in the heart of KL:


One section of the aforementioned aviary:


The 500+m telecommunications tower in Kuala Lumpur:


and a view of the Petronas Towers from the top:
I took this just to show how flat the area around Banda Aceh is. As you can see there was nowhere for the people to run too when the water came in:


The power generator vessel which was washed 4km's in land. I think it weighs around 500 tonnes to give you an idea of the strength of the water:

The boat stuck in a house in Banda Aceh. This is 3km's inland. Apparently 59 people were on board and they all survived. I think that might go down as being a touch lucky:


Monkeys asking for tidbits from anyone who happens to be passing. Apparently if you stop they will just climb on board and root through your stuff. I'd imagine they're just waiting for the day the local fruit seller breaks down nearby. Poor old guy wouldn't stand a chance probably:


The view from where I''m staying on Gapang Beach, The dark colour a few metres into the water on the right is the start of a coral reef which goes down to 30m. I've just finished a night dive there and it was stunning; stingrays, groupers, lionfish etc etc:


No prizes for guessing what this dog had just done while I wasn't looking...So cute though:


Hopefully there will be some underwater pictures added to this before too long...

Keg

2 comments:

  1. Excellent wildlife photography.
    Very happy about that.

    The most disturbing wildlife is stil your beard however, which, in the dog photo, is in need of deforestation.

    Thought the previous post about tsunami hit coastline very interesting. Must be really interesting meeting all these locals. Have you been taking any videos?

    Did you swin with any sharks in the scuba diving?
    That would be one of the best things in life to do. (my only experience of it so far having been distinctly un-organised.)

    Talking of things to tick off the to-do list: Richard and I spent the weekend in Amsterdam for the World-Cup final. We got lost in the rain, ended up in a lesbian bar by accident and were then laughed at, and then befriended by some awesome dutchies, who took us to all the best places and got us front row seats in one of the best football bars for the final.
    After they deservedly lost there was a brief moment of deflation, perhaps 5 minutes, before the general dutch attitude was, "oh fuck it! lesh hav a pardy!" A good time had by all.

    Rehearsing now for Edinburgh. Nothing particularly interesting to report, other than I saw a brilliant musical, gangsta version of Much Ado about Nothing last night, starring Helen Bradbury as Beatrice, which hopefully will get bought and sell like hotcakes, because it was brilliant.

    I'm also bizarrely happy that there is no football on at the moment. I'm very tired of it. Thought the World Cuppa was a bit shite.

    Oh well. Bon Tucking on the otherside of this fair globe we call home, and see you in a month or so.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beard is horrific. It attracted a crowd of middle-aged Indonesian women earlier today so I'm thinking it might be just about up to the point where it has to be removed.

    I heard about your trip to Amsterdam, I was really hoping they would win too. If only Arjen Robben could score one on one's... Also am I supposed to believe that you ended up in a lesbian bar "by accident"? Give me some credit for god's sake...

    Have you got any London shows before heading up north? There's one person who wants to congratulate you on coming up with Kegert for some reason. I presume you'll be heading up pretty soon though?

    I did indeed swim with sharks, sadly though I never managed to see them as they were always just on the visibility limit and everytime I looked round they'd gone. Will have to do it properly another time.

    No videos of speaking to the locals if that's what you were asking. I hate dragging my camera out and sticking it in people's faces. Really nice people though. In fact the guy who took me no a tour round Banda waited for my ferry 9 days later so that he could take me to the bus station. Got to love that. Not so much the repeated questions about how much sex I'd had with the women of Pulau Weh (none obviously) then the descriptive tails of the 3 people he'd been with. So unnecessary...

    Give everyone my best and I'll try and call at some point when I get the time.

    Keg

    ReplyDelete