Friday 26 March 2010

Angkor Wat and the surrounding temples

Based only about 7km north of Siem Reap (a bouncy 20 minute journey by Tuk-Tuk) the first temple you come across having entered the site is Angkor Wat itself. It's an absolutely stunning place which you get to by making your way over the massive moat (something like 1.6 x 1.2km) by taking the stone path below:


Having gone thorough the building at the end of the bridge above you are immediately faced with the stunning heart of the Angkor Wat complex. Interesting piece of advice, if you get asked "what is the Khmer word for temple" by a guide with only an ok grasp of the English language don't do the crap Wat/what pun when you answer as it will go on for 10 minutes and he will end up feeling like you're a very strange individual for continuously repeating the word Wat after he said it.

Running along a number of walls on the outside of the centre there are epic tales which have been carved into the sandstone which makes up the temple. The one below features a fight between Prince Rama and the Daemon King. Prince Rama is supported by a monkey army, the reason for which is explained in another set of carvings further on round the temple. The final major work is called "the churning of the sea of milk". I could explain the story but what with the elephants, daemons, elixir of life, angels, Vishnu, a giant tortoise, a churning device made of a large snake and a mountain and finally the sun and moon gods getting occasionally swallowed by a beheaded daemon I'm not sure how good a job I would do...


The next two hopefully give an idea of the the middle part of the central temple

A statue of a Buddha being protected by a multi-headed snake while meditating

Finally a look out from the top of the inner part of the temple. The strange yellow globe is a hot air balloon I believe.

Next we headed into Angkor city through the Southern gate. There are 5 gates in total and all resemble this one. The encircling wall is about 8m high and is still in good condition for the majority of it's length.


As much as I liked my Tuk-Tuk driver I couldn't help but think that these looked like a more interesting mode of transport:


Next up was the temple of Baphuon which contained a myriad of towers with 4 faces of Buddha looking out in every direction. It's absolutely stunning:



Finally I'll end with some photos of what is known as the jungle temple (or Angelina Jolie's temple after it featured in Tomb Raider...I vetoed this though). It's an amazing sight as the trees have just reclaimed (and are slowly destroying) almost all of the stone walls. There was a fair amount of renovation work as well as some tree surgery to ensure that any potential for further damage is curtailed.







As much as I loved my trip I would love to come back someday in the wet season when the waters are full and the land is a lush green as I can only begin to guess at how beautiful it would be.


Height (+ other) stats part 2:

Volleyball game invitations in town - 3
People calling me handsome - 7
Number of those who then gestured in such a way that it was obvious that they meant tall - 6
Times I was told by my guide to watch my head - over 100
Number of times I hit my head - 8
Amount I was used as a human measuring post by locals - 11
Number of Canadian couples who tried to set me up with their 6ft tall daughter back in Vancouver - 1
Amount of recent trips booked to Vancouver - 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment