Thursday 18 March 2010

I love Jakarta

Well love is strong, maybe "find disappointing" would be a better choice of words. Seriously how can it take 3 hours in a taxi to get from the airport to my hotel 20km away? Fun. On the plus side at least my taxi driver was entertaining. I've been instructed to only take the Bluebird taxis which are the main company here but quite frankly an unlicensed one with a driver who recognised Norwich City from the badge on my t-shirt is surely worth the extra couple of pounds. He said he was a Rochdale fan which wasn't quite what I was expecting to hear.

The only downside was that he turned out to be hugely religious, so much so that he believes every word of the bible. I was quite happy debating with him until he said "well I hope I'm not wrong as otherwise I'm wasting my life preparing for what will happen after I die". He looked so crestfallen at the idea that I couldn't help but change the subject. Interestingly he did believe that a tribe in Kalimantan was capable of using magic to fire daggers at far away targets without having to touch them. I thought this was a fun idea so lied that there were people in England who were capable of causing fires just by looking at objects. Should be fun for the next Englishman who gets into his taxi...

Finally it turns out that there is only 1 English show which is popular over here (which isn't sport related), in fact it's so popular that I've seen it on tv seemingly whenever I've turned one on. Still I guess Mr Bean was pretty big at home too for a while. 15 years ago.

Off to Singapore to stay with Maz and Paddy on Monday while I attend a conference then off to Hong Kong afterwards for another one a week after. As long as I don't get my hands removed for doing something stupid I'll update if anything entertaining happens.

Keg

3 comments:

  1. First of all, this last post was certainly Gary Doherty.

    England is full of excitement. Jock painted himself by rolling on the kitchen table, and oil paint is about as washable as your trainers, so it looks like he's tattoed "until his spring hair appointment."

    I'm gradually moving into my flat. I picked up a couple of 1970's sofas that someone didn't want whilst I find something else to sit on.
    I'm teaching lot's of students how to write essays, which is rather odd, and preparing the way for the next Edinburgh triumph. (Hopefully.)

    Norwich are looking very good for 1st place, but my ears will be glued to Leeds - Milwall tonight.

    Balls abuot your camera. And that rock! So close to maximum inheritance...

    Kitchen tuckage is quite dull against Jock, and I kicked a football with Mutti and Angus on Sunday. It was crap.

    However my ankle, now permenantly bigger than it's friend, is working again, and ready for the world cup. Beckham's absence is my gain...

    Will keep you upto-date on all of Gary's hoofs on Saturday. If we win, then champagne out I recon.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps: Mutti, sorry, you were VERY GOOD at football, just not quite the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the voting all my posts are Gary Doherty's. I'm still unsure as to whether this is a good or a bad thing though.

    Just arrive in Siem Reap and am going off to the temples at Angkor Wat (as seen in Indiana Jones, Lara Croft etc...) where I believe the secret to a higher level of kitchen tuckage is sure to be kept. Once I've learned it you'll never score another goal, in fact in all likelihood you'll just og yourself into oblivion.

    I've got a new camera so am off out for some photo taking now as my time is limited here. Hopefully I will get back to update here as well as to keep my 80% share of the inheritance (I've been talking to mum and dad behind your back...)

    One last thing, any chance of a Jockson Pollock painting or is it dry now? I reckon if you whack a big sheet or something out on the grass and get him to mess around on it we could be looking at a couple of million easy.

    ReplyDelete